paper wallpaper on Facebook
paper wallpaper on Facebook
I can reveal the name of the album I’m working. Not that it was a secret, we just confirmed it today.
[drum roll] and the title is… ‘paper wallpaper’, as in Dominic’s (AKA paper wallpaper) self-titled album. Creative huh?
Here’s the facebook link, just created today.
Our neighbour kindly ploughing the farm in his tractor.
I just finished a mixing session on the opening track, ‘Song for Pomegranite’. It was a productive session, and I’d say I’m 75% of the way with that song.
The first 3-4 songs are now about 75% finished. The remaining songs require more work. There’s a lot of recording to be done. Dominic is taking a break and going to Bodrum for a couple of days. That will give me a chance to get a lot of mixing done on my own. I love long mixing sessions.
I’m conscious of how little time we have left now, I’m still sure everything will be done by the 24th – when I’m leaving the studio – it’s just going to be hectic everyday from now on…
I’m back from Turkey, I’m back from the studio. The new year is here, and a list of tasks are asking to be done. After a period of construction and preparation, and with the studio fully operational (if a little sore on the eyes), my two guests arrived.
First came Alex, a long time friend and band mate, with a to-do list that included new solo material, as well as some demo tracks for the band to work with. In the end we managed to get around 8 tracks recorded, 3 of which are earmarked for publication, but there were teething problems and we hardly left our start/stop working routine until his final days in Turkey - despite purchasing much of this equipment in the summer, I’d never really used it properly until now.
This was to benefit my second guest, Dominic - a friend of mine from Istanbul – while we had less time to work together than with Alex, we were more efficient (practise makes perfect!) and just as productive. It also helped that his material was relatively minimal and well-rehearsed!
Now that I’m back in London, I’m hoping to continue working on these tracks: We (Marjorie’s Dead) want to produce an EP in the next 4-8 weeks and Dominic has a similar goal, though in his case we may need to wait till Spring before we can enter a studio together again.
At the end of the third week of this visit, Sound farm is operational. I’ve begun making the studio feel more homely, and with Alex’s help it’s begun to feel like a really comfortable working environment.
Here are some photos of the studio:
Today was the first day of works, the lumber was delivered, the carpenter arrived on time and fixed everything into place, everything ran smoothly… wait, I dreamt that.
No, what ACTUALLY happened was it rained through the night and the road became a stream. No driving to or from the farmhouse today (possibly even a few days).
Back to the drawing board, literally. The following is the latest draft of the control room:
This gives me an opportunity to read more about the joys of Helmholtz resonators and why they’re an important element in the acoustic treatment of studios…